Prep: 20 min
Yield: 24 skewers
- Cooking spray
- 8oz marinated mozzarella balls
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh basil
- 1 12 -ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces if large
- 1 14 -ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
Thread 1 small or 1/2 large basil leaf onto a small wooden skewer. Add a piece of roasted red pepper, sun-dried tomato, artichoke and a mozzarella ball. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make about two-dozen skewers.
Summer is unofficially here in the Inland Northwest and what better way to welcome it than to break out the barbecue grill! Grilling is a great way to cook a variety of foods. It is also a healthier way to cook meats because it will reduce the fat content as the fat drips away from the food. Try these beef and vegetable kebabs tonight!
-½ cup brown rice
-2 cups water
-4 ounces top sirloin (choice)
-4 tablespoons fat-free Italian dressing
-1 green pepper, seeded and cut into 4 pieces
-4 cherry tomatoes
-1 small onion, cut into 4 wedges
-2 wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes, or metal skewers
- In a saucepan over high heat, combine the rice and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. Add more water if necessary to keep the rice from drying out. Transfer to a small bowl to keep warm.
- Cut the meat into 4 equal portions. Put the meat in a small bowl and pour Italian dressing over the top. Put in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes to marinate, turning as needed.
- Prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill or a broiler. Away from the heat source, lightly coat the grill rack or broiler pan with cooking spray. Position the cooking rack 4 to 6 inches from the heat source.
- Thread 2 cubes of meat, 2 green pepper pieces, 2 cherry tomatoes and 2 onion wedges onto each skewer. Place the kebabs on the grill rack or broiler pan. Grill or broil the kebabs for about 5 to 10 minutes, turning as needed.
- Divide the rice onto individual plates. Top with 1 kebab and serve immediately.
Nutritional analysis per serving
Serving size: 1 kebab and ¾ cup rice
Total carbohydrate 49 g
Dietary fiber 4 g
Sugars 0 g
Sodium 450 mg
Total fat 3 g
Saturated fat 1 g
Monounsaturated fat 1 g
Trans fat trace
Cholesterol 39 mg
Protein 18 g
By Keri Smith, Registered Dietician