Prep Time: 30 minutes
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup roasted unsalted sunflower seeds (if salted, scale back on added salt)
3 Tbsp vegan mayo (sub tahini for a more earthy, nutty flavor)
1/2 tsp dijon or spicy mustard (if using tahini instead of mayo, use 1/4 tsp)
1 Tbsp maple syrup (or sub agave or honey if not vegan)
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 Tbsp fresh (or 1 Tbsp dried) dill, finely chopped
healthy pinch each salt and pepper (to taste)
4 pieces rustic bread, lightly toasted (gluten-free for GF eaters)
optional: Sliced avocado, onion, tomato, and or lettuce for serving
Garlic Herb Sauce (optional)
1/4 cup hummus
juice of 1/2 lemon (~1 Tbsp)
3/4 – 1 tsp dried dill (or sub 2-3 tsp fresh)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
- Prepare garlic herb sauce and set aside.
- Add chickpeas to a mixing bowl and lightly mash with a fork for texture. Then add sunflower seeds, mayo, mustard, maple syrup, red onion, dill, salt, and pepper and mix with a spoon. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Toast bread (if desired) and prepare any other sandwich toppings you desire (tomato, onion, lettuce).
- Scoop a healthy amount of filling onto two of the pieces of bread, add desired toppings and sauce, and top with other two slices of bread.
- Sunflower-chickpea mixture will keep covered in the fridge for up to a few days, making it great for quick weekday lunches!
Nutrition Information (without sauce, bread or toppings)
Serving size: 1/3 of recipe Calories: 311 Fat: 16g Saturated fat: 1.7g Carbohydrates: 26g Sugar: 7.3g Sodium: 107mg Fiber: 9g Protein: 11.5g