About Our Program
CHAS Health is a non-profit, federally qualified health center (FQHC) that provides high-quality medical, dental, pharmacy, and behavioral health services to families and individuals of all ages, regardless of ability to pay.
On The Job Training
The dental assistant apprenticeship program is a 1 year (2,000 hour) on-the-job training program facilitated by CHAS Health to train individuals to work as Registered Dental Assistants in the state of Washington. Apprentices will be employed with CHAS Health full-time while simultaneously completing related coursework, which includes homework assignments and mandatory lab days. Following successful completion of the program, the dental assistant will be transitioned into a regular, full-time position.*
Throughout this program, the apprentice will be working hands-on in the dental clinic alongside a coach and team to practice clinical skills. The coach will support and guide the apprentice and ensure the mastery of each skill.
In addition to working clinically, there will be 8 lab days, where the instructor will follow an agenda for lectures, reviewing practical skills, help with technique, and answer questions. Homework and lab obligations are unpaid.
Registered Apprenticeship Program
The Dental Assistant Training Program is now recognized by the state of Washington as a registered apprenticeship. This provides students with assurance that they will receive a quality education that has met the qualifications set by Washington State Department of Labor & Industries for training and instruction. Our program is governed by an Apprenticeship Committee of 50% employer and 50% journey-level dental assistant representatives. Curriculum is approved by the State Board for Community and Technical Colleges.
Why CHAS Health?
- This is a unique and exciting opportunity to receive paid training geared toward success as a registered dental assistant
- Benefits of full-time employment including medical, dental, vision, paid time off, 401(k), paid training and ongoing learning opportunities, uniform allowance, and more.
- Be a part of a well-respected organization providing patient-centered care in our community
- immersive learning environment
- Option to work toward DANB certification
- Have fun at work!
- Opportunities for advancement
* There is a 2-year employment commitment with CHAS Health following completion of the program
Hear from one of our recent grads:
The application process for Spring 2021 is now open! Interested applicants will need to meet specific requirements and provide the requested information as shown below:
All applicants to the DA Apprenticeship must meet the following basic requirements:
- 18 years of age or older
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Ability to pass a Washington State Background check
Application Materials Checklist
- Online Application through Careers at CHAS.org
- Personal Statement (350 words or less)
- Life Impact Statement (350 words or less)
- Short Answer Response (100 words or less for each question)
- Recommendations (1 Required)
Review and/or consideration of incomplete applications or late materials is at the discretion of Chas Health. If application materials are missing due to circumstances beyond the applicant’s control, the CHAS Health will take that into consideration and make judgment based on the information available.
There is no preferred formatting or specific requirements that need to be met. However, your submission should include the following information, as applicable:
- Work History (including employer, position title, and dates of employment)
- Involvement with volunteer, community, and/or diversity-related activities including the organization, position title, and dates of service
- Education (including school, degree, dates of attendance)
- Honors, awards
- Skills or relevant qualities (languages spoken, computer programs, etc.)
Personal Statement (350 words or less)
The CHAS Health Apprentice program desires individuals who have a passion to help others and a vision to succeed in healthcare. This field requires flexibility, adaptability, and perseverance. In your personal statement, please explain why you think you would be successful in this program. Please include your personal goals and what obstacles may stand between you and successful completion of the program and how will you overcome these obstacles.
Life Impact Statement (350 words or less)
The Apprenticeship programs are a commitment that includes a 2000 hours on-the-job training program and potential employment upon successful completion. In this statement, please explain how this educational training will affect your work and personal life.
Short Answer Response (100 words or less)
The field of healthcare requires flexibility, dependability, and empathy. Give an example of a situation when you had to use these skills.